Using Small Parts
Applies to JungleDocs for SharePoint 2010-2019.
For a similar tutorial for JungleDocs for Office 365, click here.
Small Parts functionality enables JungleDocs users to quickly assemble unique documents from pieces of frequently used data. This tutorial describes Small Parts features, integration with JungleDocs rules and provides an example of the feature in action.
About Small Parts
Basically, Small Parts allows you to merge frequently used pieces of content into a unique document by selecting checkboxes. First, you need to split frequently used data into several templates (i.e., Small Parts). Then, when running a JungleDocs rule, you can select checkboxes of relevant Small Parts, and they will be included in the document for you. This is why Small Parts is a great solution for creating variations of the same document, when you need a unique combination of the same data "blocks" (e.g., invoices, quotes, reports etc.).
Other things to know about Small Parts:
- Small Parts are Word or PowerPoint documents
- A Small Part contains a frequently used and specific bit of information (e.g., product details, company history, introduction)
- Small Parts are stored in Small Parts libraries on your SharePoint
- You select Small Parts by checking boxes when running a JungleDocs Rule
Creating a Small Parts library
Small Parts are stored in the Small Parts library on your SharePoint. You create it in the same way you would create a normal document library. We recommend creating folders for different sets of Small Parts within the library. In this way, you will only see the relevant folders when running a JungleDocs rule.
1. On the site, click Settings > Add an app.
2. Select Document Library.
3. Name the library Small Parts. Inside this library, you can create folders that will hold your Small Parts. A good way to structure these folders is by the documents they contain.
4. Add documents that contain the Small Parts that you want to use to the folders.
5. Link your Small Parts library to a certain JungleDocs rule (see How to use Small Parts to create documents step below).
Small Part ordering
By default, Small Parts are ordered by the Name column. However, if you would like to customize the order of your Small Parts, you can add a SmallPartOrder column to your Small Parts library to order them by this column. It is recommended to use Number type column, but other sortable types also work.
1. In the Small Parts library, create a Number type column. Column internal name must be SmallPartOrder, but the display name can be different.
2. Assign values to your Small Parts folder documents to order them. If you assign equal values, JungleDocs will first order your SmallParts by SmallPartOrder column, then by the Name column.
Optionally, you can customize your Small Parts library view to correspond to JungleDocs ordering. First, sort by the Column SmallPartOrder, then sort by the column Name.
Small Part flags
You can change Small Part placeholder syntax to add additional properties, or flags, to Small Parts when running a JungleDocs rule. Small Part flags control whether it is optional or mandatory to select a Small Part from a Small Part group, and can limit the number of selections.
Small Part:Name Regular Small Part syntax.
Small Part (clearFormatting):Name Clears inline formatting of font and font size formatting when inserting Small Parts content, leaves other formatting intact. See InsertFiles for example of the same functionality.
Small Part (keepFormatting):Name Retains most formatting, paragraph and table styles, document theme and style set of the source document. It adjusts and copies all needed styles from source document to target, renaming duplicate styles.
The four flags can be combined, see examples.
The Small Parts from the picture below are configured as follows:
Small Part (single):Product Descriptions
Small Part (required):Support
Small Part (single, required):JungleDocs Prices
Adding Small Parts to rules
To be able to use Small Parts in a JungleDocs rule, you have to add Small Parts to the template that is assigned to that rule. The whole process can be divided into four main steps.
1. Add Small Parts to the Small Parts library (see the Creating the Small Parts library chapter above).
2. On the JungleDocs rule that you want to use Small Parts with, click Edit template.
3. Add Small Parts to the template by adding content controls. In the Tag field, enter Small Part: Folder Name (for example, Small Part: Company).
4. Save template changes. You rule is now configured to use Small Parts.
Example: creating a quotation
In this example, we will create a quotation for a new client with Small Parts.
1. First, we navigate to the SharePoint list where we store our client company data.
2. Now we select the company for which we want to create a quotation, e.g., Contoso. Then we open JungleDocs from the ribbon.
3. We can now select the JungleDocs rule we need. In this case, we have already configured the quotation rule to be used with Small Parts.
4. Once we click on the rule, JungleDocs opens Small Parts selection window. Here, we can check pieces of content that we want to include in the document.
5. After we finish walking through the steps, JungleDocs will create our document and include the selected Small Parts automatically.