Using Small Parts
In this JungleDocs tutorial, you will learn:
are Small Parts?
Small Parts are pieces of content that can be put together to quickly assemble a new and unique document. You can also think of Small Parts as templates that you can merge into a larger file.
Things to know about Small Parts:
- Small Parts are Word or PowerPoint documents
- A Small Part contains a frequently used and specific bit of information (e.g., product details, company history, introduction)
- Small Parts are stored in Small Parts libraries on your SharePoint
- You select Small Parts by checking boxes when running a JungleDocs Rule
When to use Small Parts?
For any document that has to be created often – such as invoices, quotes, reports etc. – Small Parts are an easy solution.
You split up texts that you use often for document creation into smaller parts (i.e., Small Parts). Once you have done that, you can use JungleDocs to select which of these parts you want to use to create a new and unique document. You do this by checking boxes.
How to create a Small Parts library?
Small Parts are stored in the Small Parts library on your SharePoint. You create it in the same way you would create a normal document library. We recommend creating folders for different sets of Small Parts within the library. In this way, you will only see the relevant folders when running a JungleDocs rule.
1. To create a Small Parts library, first, create a new document library.
2. You are now going to add an App. Select Document Library to continue.
3. Name the library Small Parts. Inside this library, you can create folders that will hold your Small Parts. A good way to structure these folders is by documents they contain.
4. Add documents that contain the Small Parts that you want to use to the folders.
5. After you have done this you will link your Small Parts library to a certain JungleDocs rule (see How to use Small Parts to create documents step of this tutorial).
How to order small parts?
By default, Small Parts are ordered by Name column. However, if you would like to customize the order of your Small Parts, you can add a SmallPartOrder column to your Small Parts library to order them by this column. It is recommended to use Number type column, but other sortable types also work.
1. Create a Number type column in your Small Parts library. Column internal name should be SmallPartOrder, but the display name can be different.
2. Assign values to your Small Parts folder documents to order them. If you assign equal values, JungleDocs will first order your SmallParts by SmallPartOrder column, then by Name column.
3.(Optional) You can customize your Small Parts library view to correspond to JungleDocs ordering. First, sort by the Column SmallPartOrder, then sort by the column Name.
Small Part flags
You can change Small Part placeholder syntax to add additional properties, or flags, to Small Parts when running a JungleDocs rule. Small Part flags control whether it is optional or mandatory to select a Small Part from a Small Part group, and can limit the number of selections.
Small Part: Name Regular Small Part syntax.
The Small Parts from the picture below are configured as follows:
Small Part (Required): About EnovaPoint
Small Part (Required): Discounts
Small Part (Required): EULA
Small Part (Single, Required): JungleDoc Prices
How to use Small Parts to create documents?
There are three steps for creating documents with Small Parts.
1. Add Small Parts to a Small Parts library. Scroll up to the previous step for an explanation.
2. Add content controls to a document template. You can specify the Small Parts and their place in the final document by adding content controls to a document template.
2.1. Open your document template via a specific rule or open a new document.
2.2. Add Rich Text content controls to the places you want to insert Small Parts. Use the tag: Small Part: Folder Name (for example, Small Part: Company).
3. Assign the document template to a JungleDocs rule. There are two ways to do this.
#1 Modify existing template. To do this, navigate to the source list/library that you will use to create your documents and reports and launch JungleDocs. Now select the rule you want to edit the template for. Click on the drop-down menu arrow and click Edit
#2 Modify template when creating a new rule. Start by creating the rule. Then when configuring the rule you can select
Small Parts example: creating a quotation
To exemplify what is discussed above, we will now move on to put the knowledge to use. In this example, we will create a quotation for a new client with Small Parts.
1. First, we will navigate to the SharePoint list where we store our client company data.
2. Now we will select the company for which we are going to create a quotation, e.g., Contoso. Then we open JungleDocs from the ribbon.
3. We can now select the JungleDocs rule we need. In this case, we have already configured the quotation rule to be used with Small Parts.
4. Once we click on the rule, JungleDocs will open an options menu where we can select the Small Parts we want to be included in the actual quotation. 5. After we finish walking through the steps, JungleDocs will create our document using the Small Parts we have selected.