Using Report rules
Report rules allow you to export multiple items from a list into a Word document. These can be selected items, a view, view with filters, or a whole list. In this tutorial, you will learn more about Report rules and how to use them to create new documents.
About Report rules
A Report rule allows you to export multiple list items into a document in JungleDocs for SharePoint. This rule is especially useful for report creation. In other words, a Report rule is a command to create a new document by using the data present in a specific list (for example, to create a sales report).
Things to know about Report rules:
- Report rules can found under the Reports tab in JungleDocs;
- Report rules export metadata from selected SharePoint list items into new documents.
- Report rules can be used to export list items to Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents.
- Report rules can be used to export list data into Word charts and diagrams.
To create a Report rule
1. Navigate to the Reports tab in JungleDocs.
2. To add a Reports rule, click New Report rule.
3. A new window will now open, prompting the user to configure the new rule. Below you can see some of the configuration options available.
Target location and Base rule
Select whether documents created using this rule will be saved to a list or library or should be downloaded. Also, select the Base rule you want to use for the Report rule to inherit configuration .
Here you will select the document template that will be used for your new document. If you're creating a new rule, you will probably want to create and use a custom template. Learn more about templates here:
- Introduction to rules and templates
- Template editing and storing
- Adding content controls to templates
Note: for the template options to appear, a target location must be set to document library (not the list).
Copy column values
Decide what column values you want to be copied into the new document.
Set column values
Decide what column values you want to be copied into the new document metadata. You can use formulas to merge the metadata from different columns, make some calculations etc. Take a look at some formulas and the results they generate:
Price * AmountResult:
500(Price and Amount are columns in source item. Price is 100 and Amount is 5)
Price + DeliveryCostsResult:
110(Price and DeliveryCosts are columns in source item. Price is 100 and DeliveryCosts is 10)
4. Once you have configured your new Report rule, click OK to save it. Now you will be able to select the new rule from the Reports tab.
Using a Report rule
1. Select the documents or list items that you want to pull data from.
3. Open JungleDocs, go to the Reports tab and click on the Report rule that you want to use.
4. A new window will open. This window contains the information for the document, its name, and any additional notes. Most of the fields will have been filled in by JungleDocs already, as pre-configured in the rule.
6. Click Save and the new document will be generated and stored on your SharePoint (or downloaded, depending on the rule settings).